There are many harsh and toxic chemical ingredients used in many skin care products and as consumers we should educate ourselves about what is safe and what is harmful to put on our skin as it can easily get absorbed into our cells and have potentially harmful effects.
Here are the Top 6 Ingredients that should be avoided:
6. Phthalates: These are chemicals that are used to soften plastics and increase their flexibility. They are used in lotions, moisturizers, hair spray, perfumes and nail polish. They are known to be endocrine disruptors and found in breast cancer cells. They can increase the risk of reproductive birth defects.
5. Fragrances: The problem with fragrances is that we don’t know what mixture of chemicals are used to make these synthetic fragrances which can potentially cause skin irritation, allergies, respiratory problems and even affect the reproductive system. Fragrances are used in every type of product from shampoos, moisturizers, lotions, sunscreen, perfumes and many more.
4. FD&C Colors: These are synthetic colors made from coal tar or petroleum that deposit heavy metals in the skin. These are suspected to be human carcinogens and are skin irritants. These synthetic colors can be present in every type of skin care product to add or enhance the color of products.
3. Propylene Glycol: This is commonly used as a skin conditioning agent used in lotions, moisturizers, shampoos and has many uses even outside of the skin care industry such as in e-cigarettes, candy, flavorings, alcoholic beverages and bread. This can be a skin irritant but there could be a greater concern for cancer and nervous system disorders because of the dioxin that forms from the ethoxylation process of propylene glycol.
2. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate: Most products that form a foam contain SLS in them, such as shampoos and cleansers. SLS can cause skin, eye and lung irritation, diarrhea and even possibly depression. SLS is also used in garage floor cleaners and car washes.
1. Parabens: These are used as preservatives in all types of skin care products from moisturizers, lotions, sunscreens, shampoos, deodorants and many others. Parabens possess estrogen-like properties which can increase the risk of breast cancer and have been found in breast tumor cells.
When selecting a skin care product, always read the ingredients and go as natural as you can for a safer skin care regimen and healthier body, mind and soul.